By filling out the membership form and submitting it to The New Westminster Community Garden Society, referred to as (NWCGS) you agree to permit us to use the information contained in the form only for the purposes of serving you as a member. These shall include informing you of regular meetings, delivering you notices of membership expiry and renewal and such notices as shall be agreed to by the general membership.
In accordance with the Privacy rules established in the Province of British Columbia and by the Federal Government of Canada, you have the right to know what information is stored on your behalf by the society and to have it corrected or edited accordingly.
To do this, please allow a minimum of twenty-four hours from your time of contact with the society secretary either in written form, or by sending an e-mail. To view our contact page, click here or on the bar above
The NWCGS will adhere to the following guidelines as laid out by the Federal Government of Canada.
PIPEDA: Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
1. Accountability: NWCGS will appoint an individual (or individuals) to be responsible for NWCGS compliance; protect all personal information held by NWCGS or transferred to third party for processing; and develop and implement personal information policies and practices.
2. Identifying purposes: NWCGS must identify the reasons for collecting personal information before or at the time of collection. Before or when any personal information is collected, identify why it is needed and how it will be used; document why the information is collected; inform the individual from whom the information is collected why it is needed; identify any new purpose for the information and obtain the individual’s consent before using it.
3. Consent: NWCGS will inform the individual in a meaningful way of the purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of personal data; obtain the individual’s consent before or at the time of collection, as well as when a new use is identified.
4. Limiting collection: NWCGS will not collect personal information indiscriminately; NWCGS will not deceive or mislead individuals about the reasons for collecting personal information.
5. Limiting use, disclosure, and retention: NWCGS will use or disclose personal information only for the purpose for which it was collected, unless the individual consents, or the use or disclosure is authorized by the Act; keep personal information only as long as necessary to satisfy the purposes; put guidelines and procedures in place for retaining and destroying personal information; keep personal information used to make a decision about a person for a reasonable time period. This should allow the person to obtain the information after the decision and pursue redress; destroy, erase or render anonymous information that is no longer required for an identified purpose or a legal requirement.
6. Accuracy: NWCGS will minimize the possibility of using incorrect information when making a decision about the individual or when disclosing information to third parties.
7. Safeguards: NWCGS will protect personal information against loss or theft; safeguard the information from unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification; protect personal information regardless of the format in which it is held.
8. Openness: NWCGS will inform our customers, clients and employees that we have policies and practices for the management of personal information; make these policies and practices understandable and easily available.